Carlisle Barracks is located in the Cumberland Valley in Pennsylvania. It is considered one of the best military schools in the world.
Of its Graduates: John J. Pershing, Dwight D. Eisenhower and Omar N. Bradley are the top three recognized
Originally, a spot were early traders and settlers stopped to rest before they made their way across the Allegheny Mountains. It was made a Military post in 1757.
George Washington had visited the area during the Revolutionary War. He wanted it to the spot for the New Military Academy. But it lost out to West Point
The Post did serve as the U.S. Army Mounted Cavalry Training Area in the 1830’s
During the Civil War Union troops occupied both the post and the town of Carlisle. Major General J.E.B. Stuart a Confederate soldier demanded the post and the town surrender, when they didn’t he shelled both and set fire to the post.
In 1879, Carlisle Barracks became the Carlisle Indian Industrial School. Its most famous student and the best athlete was Jim Thorpe.
At the onset of World War l the Barracks was returned to the War Department. It became a hospital that specialized in the treatment of mental rehabilitation for those suffering from the newly identified trauma–called “Shell Shock”.
By the 1920s the Medical Field Service took over the Barracks.
In 1951, the U.S. Army War College relocated to Carlisle and to this day prepares senior officers for high command.
The Barracks assorted history has left the Barracks haunted by a plethora of ghosts. Some say Jim Thorpe can be seen in the Gym. Along with sounds of shuffling sneakers Many confounded Visitors hear faint 20’s and 30’s music from the Bandstand. When this music is heard it is often played off key so it felt that this was probably a young student band from the school preforming a concert.
At the Letort View Community Center, other ghosts can be seen including a well-dressed female student and a man dressed in farm attire. The cellar of this building is so active it has been dubbed, “Purgatory”.
Some of the ghostly activity reflects to the Revolutionary War. At Carlisle there is a building that was originally used as a powder magazine. Today this building is used as a museum that houses a variety of military artifacts.
It is believed that the Hessian soldiers who were forced to construct it in 1777 still haunt it.
Christopher “Papa Coyote” Ostrowski
Demonology Dept. NPS