In my opinion, many spirits can be negative and not truly demonic. A demon is any entity which is not of the light. Usually this means the entity is influencing those around him in a negative way. A demon does NOT have to look like a big scary monster with horns and a tail! Many demons may be small, some may be large, most cannot be seen at all. Yet their affect and influence are very real.
In the movies we see scenes of demons attacking humans, throwing them through the air with the powers of their mind, causing crosses to turn upside-down, causing possessed people to experience various “phenomena”. Some examples of movies which show these very extreme effects include The Rite. These phenomena are real and have been documented in many cases of exorcism. The Clergy has a great deal of experience dealing with such cases.
However, in actual fact most demonic attack is far more subtle! Think of it this way: why would a demon spend all their energy to throw you off a building when instead they can infiltrate your mind, causing you to feel depressed and causing you to think you are worthless so that YOU throw yourself off the building all by yourself! This is truly the way of demons.
Many symptoms of demonic attack “look” a lot like psychological illness, and in fact it can be challenging to differentiate between psychological illness and outside influence, i.e. attack. This is something the Clergy is specialist in and can assist with.
Let’s go over some things about Demonic Activity. It comes in three stages with the first being Infestation then Oppression and finally Possession. Each stage is used to weaken the faith and will of a person.
What is Infestation and it’s purpose? Demon’s in the Infestation stage look for a member who has the weakest Faith and Will. Demon’s use this stage to see who they can manipulate the easiest. Once attached this will lead to Oppression where more wearing and tearing down the person is done. If the person gives in Possession can then take place.
So, what are the signs of each of these?
Infestation is the easiest stage to clear up. House cleansing and blessings are done but if not caught in time it can be a little more difficult. Let’s take a look at some signs:
- Groups of 3 (Bangs and knocks
- Smells of sulfur, feces, urine
- Physical actions such as being pushed, dragged around, bitten
- Things being thrown around
- Feelings of depression
- Religious items being broken or disappearing
- Seeing apparitions that look deformed or scary
- Disembodied voices such as growls
- Mood swings but no medical attention is need because there is no explanation
These are just some. Please note that because someone is depressed doesn’t mean there is demonic activity and that when looking at a possible demonic situation there shouldn’t just be one of these signs.
Let’s look at Oppression.
Oppression is the second stage is a little more tough then Infestation. A person has come to this stage because the demon has latched on and is doing what it can to wear a person’s will and faith down EVEN MORE. But wait, you might not know that. In this stage you might not even know that something is wrong with you. Someone in the Oppression stage can still have control over their mind and body. They can still understand things and can seem as if there may not be anything wrong but with just some strange symptoms. Let’s take a look at what Oppression can do:
- Person usually is outgoing or likes to get out do things but them isolates themselves for no reason.
- Starts doing things they wouldn’t have never done such as drugs or drinking or other bad habits
- Mood swings, depression, anger issues
- Hearing voices
- Person see’s things that no one else can see
- Markings on body such as bites, bruising, scratches
- Zoning out or in a trance like state
- Person has the ability to know things they wouldn’t know
Here we need to take note that before assuming someone is in a demonic situation, it needs to be discussed if a person is on medication, has physiological issues etc. Do NOT attempt to cure someone who may have demonic activity if you are not trained. Contacting the Clergy is the best way to go as Oppression cared for used by
The final stage…Possession. What now? This is a dangerous stage and should not be toyed with. You or the person who is possessed can be hurt or worse. The goal of a demon is for the person to end their life in one way or the other. Let’s have a look:
- Speaking languages they wouldn’t know or have never studied
- Superhuman strength
- Knowing where secret things are that someone may have hidden
- Ability to move things about without touching them
- Nasty reactions to Holy items such as Holy water
- Unable to pray or seems to be tortured from hearing pray
- Hurting one’s self
- Trying to commit suicide
- Issues with sleeping
- Eating nasty things
- Using the bathroom on themselves
- Saying ugly things that they wouldn’t normally say
If one has been interviewed and it is believed that Possession is the problem the Clergy should be contacted to see if an Exorcism is needed.
What if a person is not possessed but had a mental issue? My answer is that I personally do not jump up and say a person is possessed or even has a demonic problem. If you feel someone is having some issues from the lists above, seek professional medical help, see what explanations there may be. Physiological evaluations are needed to rule out things as well. If all is unexplained and medication is not helping then we can look into it to see if there is Demonic Activity.
If you or someone you know if having any of the above problems or feel like suicide is your only answer, please seek help or call your local Clergy. God Bless.