Tag: colorado

Beyond the Shadows Paranormal

btsp Contact Name Tonya Hammel
Location Florence, Colorado
Phone (719) 285-8732
Email email
Website beyondshadows.weebly.com/
Follow Us facebook
Specialty:
We are a team of Paranormal Investigators and Paranormal Sensitive’s with a common interest of helping out others the community. We all come from other teams in the past with a combined experience of 25+ years. We have formed this team to continue in our mission of investigating and helping houses and businesses that are having issues with the paranormal or simply want to know if some of the events they are experiencing are of a paranormal sort.We can help!Our Team Leaders have been working with the paranormal together for several years and Lead up many of the local investigations and Ghost walks. Tom Monaco and Tonya Hammel formed Beyond the Shadows Paranormal in November, 2014 to share their knowledge with team members, home owners and business owners that would like to know more about the paranormal.

Front Range Paranormal Society

NPS-Default Contact Name Rick Doc Randall
Location Colorado Springs, Colorado
Phone (719) 291-2509
Email email
Website
Follow Us
Specialty:
We only investigate and help those who have serious problems like pushing, scratching and other physical abuse. If children are at risk in a location we will respond ASAP. I/we do not investigate a location for the fun of it. We are professionals.

Cheyenne Mountain Paranormal Investigators

NPS-Default Contact Name Cheyenne Mountain Paranormal Investigators
Location Colorado Springs, Colorado
Phone (785) 717-5191
Email email
Website
Follow Us
Specialty:
I specialize in scientific investigations.

Boulder Theater

2166_125916450690_5066_n Address 2032 14th St.
Boulder, Colorado 80302
Phone  (303) 786-7030
Email
Website www.bouldertheater.com/
Follow Us Facebook Twitter foursquare yelp tripadvisor

The Old Stone Church Restaurant

1012055_10151625864970000_1588094323_n Address 210 3rd St
Castle Rock, Colorado 80104
Phone (303) 688-9000
Email
Website http://oscrestaurant.com/
Follow Us Facebook Twitter foursquare yelp tripadvisor

Windsor Hotel

Hotel Windsor

Address 608 Grand Ave
Del Norte, Colorado 81132
Phone (719) 567-9031
Email email
Website www.windsorhoteldelnorte.com
Follow Us Facebook

Stanley Hotel

10420247_10152269428547423_5133963328996297226_n

Address 333 E WonderView Ave
Estes Park, Colorado 80517
Phone (970) 577-4000
Email email
Website www.stanleyhotel.com/
Follow Us Facebook Twitter foursquare yelp tripadvisor

Hotel Colorado

63914_10152637755605032_1242931123_n

Address 526 Pine St
Glenwood Springs, Colorado 81601
Phone (800) 544-3998
Email
Website hotelcolorado.com/
Follow Us Facebook Twitter GooglePlus foursquare yelp tripadvisor

Colorado Ghosts – Part IV

10262131_10152702684934471_9033575469495657319_n

by Deb Anderson

We have all wanted to make a wish list of haunted places we would like to investigate and Colorado has enough to keep us busy for the next few years, when we’re not doing residential investigations.

Some of Colorado’s haunted places are famous and you probably already know about them, but I will touch on them and we will then move on to local places that we can get to in one weekend,

The Stanley Hotel in Estes Park is one of them; it is haunted by its owner and his wife, F.O. Stanley, inventor of the Stanley steamer and his wife Laura.  A little-known haunt of the Stanley, is Lord Dunraven, who actually built the hotel. He may be encountered at room 407, where he stands in the corner of the room near the bathroom door. Witnesses have reported that a light in the corner turns on and off and the elevator is heard operating even though it is not running at the time.

Other rooms that are haunted our 217 and 401, and children are apparently seen in room 418 and leave impressions on the bed when no one is staying in the room. Guests who stay in room 418 complained of children playing in the hallway at night even when there are no children registered at the hotel.

Another famous Colorado haunt is Cheesman Park in Denver, which began in 1858 as Mount Prospect Cemetery and became Boot Hill.  In 1873 the cemetery was renamed City Cemetery and buried only criminals, transients and epidemic victims there.

In 1893 the city gave notice all bodies must be removed in 90 days. The city hired a local undertaker to dig up the 6,000 to 10,000 remaining bodies not claimed by family, put them in 1′ x 3.5′ pine boxes and deliver them to the Riverside Cemetery.

Workers hired by the undertaker broke corpses into pieces to get them to fit into this miniature caskets, unrelated bones were thrown together and many of the graves were looted.

Spiritualists at the time warned workers that the dead would return unless a short prayer was uttered for each casket, but no one listened to them. One worker removing valuable brass coffin handles ran hysterically from the graveyard saying that a ghost jumped on his back. People in neighboring houses and apartments reported confused spirits wandering through their homes and appearing in mirrors.

A huge scandal erupted and Mayor Platt Rogers ordered all work halted for an investigation. No one was able to sort the mess out, so the remaining bodies were plowed under and grass and trees were planted over them.

As you walk through the park is said that you can still feel a sadness and confusion at the site and some say you can hear a low moaning sound coming from under the ground.

Denver International Airport was built on land considered sacred by the Native Americans and opened later than expected due to all sorts of unforeseen problems. This was confirmed by experts in Feng Shui when they surveyed the airport said the site was “full of images of death and grief”. In spring 1995 Colorado Indian tribes held a ceremony to put their ancestor’s spirits to rest.

Molly Brown house also in Denver was built in 1889 by Molly and her husband James Joseph Brown in 1894. Molly had survived the sinking of the Titanic in 1912 and become a national heroine. Her ghost and that of her husband have been detected in the gray brick mansion since then. Ghost lectures are held in the house in October and tours are given daily.

Union Depot on 22nd St. in downtown Denver has the ghost of a man called the soldier by employees who since the unmistakable presence of a military officer in the great Hall. In the 1930s a shadowy operation was reported several times in the station, but the confuse ghost which seem to be seeking a way out of the building eventually found his way out. Union Depot replaced the original Denver Depot in 1880 which was torn down because of the dozens of apparitions reported by telegraph operators and agents who worked there. Among the ghost at the Denver Depot was a three fingered hobo who harassed agents by tapping on the glass petitions at ticket counters. He was seen scores of times over a ten-year period at around 2 AM and would appear on train platforms, in the lobby, and inside the offices of the Denver Depot. Several agents quit rather than work with the ghost.

Also in Estes Park, the Baldpate Inn a 12 room, log cabin lodge is haunted by the couple who built it 1917. The ghosts of Ethel and Gordon Mace walk the hallways of this inn and have been seen by both guests and employees. Ethel is seen mostly in her old bedroom and a small stateroom called the Key Room which houses the largest collection of keys in the world. The collection was begun in 1923 when Clarence Darrow donated one of his keys. The collection of celebrity keys has grown to over 12,000 and includes Edgar Allen Poe’s dorm room key (number 13) and Stephen King’s key to the hotel room where he wrote The Shining.

Mesa Verde National Park in Cortez houses the ghosts of the Anasazi Indians, the mysterious “ancient ones” who suddenly disappeared around A.D. 1500. They are seen among the ruins of their 220 room dwelling known as Cliff Palace. The apparitions are encountered most frequently near the 23 pit houses or kivas, on the floor of the canyon. Each of these ceremonial buildings has a hole in the floor that serves as a spirit gateway or “Earth Naval”. In one building known as the Sun Temple, there is a great sunflower carved in stone. Called the “Sun Shrine”, the 2 foot diameter stone flower is mounted on an altar. Geologists say it was not carved by human hands, but was formed by the natural erosion of a sandstone boulder. The sacred symbol is painted on the walls of pueblos throughout the Southwest. In all of their architecture, the Anasazi express their belief in spiritual links that connected all things. Perfectly straight roads link Mesa Verde with its sister city in Chaco Canyon, New Mexico.

Silver Cliff Cemetery near Rosita, in south-central Colorado, is said to have the ghosts of deceased pioneers showing up as shimmering blue lights that hover over the graves in this old cemetery. The haunting lights were first reported by silver miners in 1882 and are still seen to this day. It is believed the lights are the dancing blue spirits of sacred hilltop that are spoken of in Indian legends.

A 1967 article in the New York Times caused the site to become a tourist attraction and hundreds of people reported seeing a strange floating lights. Edward Linehan of National Geographic, investigated the site in 1969 and observed “round spots of blue white light” glowing over the graves. When he approached one, it disappeared and slowly then reappeared in a different area. The lights are not reflections of car, train, or airplane lights as they appeared long before these inventions were in wide use. A Geiger counter survey revealed no radioactivity in the area.

One last haunting you may not be aware of in Grand Junction takes place on the Denver and Rio Grande Railroad tracks that run between Grand Junction and Gunnison. The phantom of the old steam locomotive, Engine 107, haunts these tracks with a ghostly whistle.

At the turn-of-the-century, engineers avoided the unlucky locomotive, dubbed Dread 107. This steam engine was the instrument of death for scores of people. On one of its first runs the train went off a trestle, killing several trainmen and many passengers. The engine was restored to the line and rebuilt and then struck a massive boulder, tossing passengers from their seats like dolls. Dozens of people were killed or injured. Repaired once again, Dread 107 hit a snow slide in the Black Canyon which claimed more lives. The railroad finally scrapped the cursed locomotive in 1909 after several more accidents which claimed even more lives. The phantom train or rather its ghostly whistle, are still seen and heard along the tracks that run between Grand Junction and Gunnison. It is most often encountered near the Gunnison River and Crystal Creek.

Colorado Ghosts – Part III

10262131_10152702684934471_9033575469495657319_n

by Deb Anderson

Denver- Belle Worden’s House- The ghost of John  Fitzgerald haunts the whorehouse where he was murdered.

On March 19, 1884, he was stabbed to death as he lay  sleeping in the bed of a prostitute.

His lifeless body was thrown into cherry Creek and found  by a group of boys two months later.  Madame Bell Worden and two of her employees were sent to jail for the  murder robbery.  The phantom of  Fitzgerald has returned to make sure the place would never again be a house of  ill-repute. The house is a private residence at 578 Holiday Street.

Bombay Club-Owner Greg McAllister says he serves cowboy  ghosts as well as living guests in the 1895 saloon.  The Bombay Club is located at 1128 Grant  Street.

Bradmar-The haunting of this Tudor mansion began when a  ceiling beam was split by a ghost.  The mansion was built in 1920 by George Gano, when he died; Hubert Work  bought the house and married Gano’s widow Ethyl.

Many years before her death, Ethyl told friends and  relatives that when she died she wished to lie in state before the  fireplace.  She promised that on  that night she would split a certain beam on the ceiling above her coffin.  The beam split just as she had  promised.

After the Works died, no one lived in the house until  1962, when it was purchased by Dr. Robert Bradley and soon after moving in; the  Bradleys experienced ghostly presences, levitating objects, odors, and moaning  sounds.

Dr. Bradley consulted renowned psychic Arthur Ford who  identified the spirits as Ethyl and Hubert Work.  Bradley wrote a book about the  experiences and finally the house was sold in 1980.  The people who bought it couldn’t stand  the paranormal activity and moved out shortly after.  It is still a private residence at 4100  South University Blvd.

Croke-Patterson-Campbell Mansion-The haunting began in  1970 when tenant’s offices were remodeled.  The often heard typing in the building at night and when they brought in  two Dobermans to guard the place, the found them the next morning dead on the  sidewalk, the animals had been so frightened of something they jumped from a  third floor window.

In the same year, a baby died in the third floor nursery  and the distraught mother committed suicide.  The mansion was then turned into a  museum at 428 East 11th Street.

Denver Courthouse-In 1900, every night for a week at 3:00  AM, the ghosts of departed souls walked the hallways accompanied by the stench  of brimstone.  Not one but dozens of  spirits were reported by night watchmen and janitors and one of the ghosts was  the courthouse elevator operator who had fallen to their death down the elevator  shaft.

The courthouse is located on the corner of 16th  Street and Tremont  Avenue.

Grant-Humphreys Mansion-This old house is said to be  haunted by five ghosts, one the former owner, A.E. Humphreys.  Humphreys died on May 8, 1927 from a  suspicious gun accident despite being an excellent marksman.

A séance sponsored by radio station KNUS contacted  several ghosts.  The Grant-Humphreys  Mansion is located in the Cheesman Park area and ghost lectures are held in  October.

Littleton Town Hall Arts Center-Ghostly laughter and  music have been heard coming from this community theater building late at  night.  The ghost also likes to mess  up workers desks and move their personal belongings.

Molly Brown House-The ghost of Molly Brown wanders her  former home, which was built in 1889.  Molly survived the sinking of the Titanic and died in 1932.  Her husband James Joseph Brown’s ghost  has also been detected in the home as visitors sometimes smell cigar smoke in  his study.

Molly Brown House Museum is located at 1340 Pennsylvania  Avenue.

Peabody Mansion-This house was built by Colorado Governor  James Peabody at the turn of the century and haunted by later residents.  It is rumored a woman was brutally raped  in the basement and that someone committed suicide in the bathroom.

Whatever the cause of the disturbances, many people feel  bad vibes here.

Reynolds Cottage-This historic house is haunted by Madge  Reynolds who had an adulterous affair with Denver Post owner Fred Bonfils.  She collapsed and died in her bedroom  after a horseback ride with Bonfils.  Ever since, her ghost has been seen roaming in the rooms on the north  side of the house.  The house is a  private residence on Logan Street in the Capital Hill area of Denver.

Fairplay-Buckskin Cemetery-J. Dawson Hidgepath came to  Fairplay to find gold and a wife, but only found tragedy in 1865.  His broken, lifeless body was found at  the bottom of the West side of Mount Boss where he had apparently fallen while  trying to prospect the mountainside.

Soon after, the bones of the wandering lothario were  found in the bed of a dance hall girl in the town of Alma.

Believing some prank had occurred, the citizens of  Fairplay reburied the bones in the Buckskin Cemetery. Time and time again, the bones would find  their way to the house of some fair lady.

By 1872, Dawson’ bones were the talk of the territory,  and in a last attempt to rid themselves of the wandering bones; someone threw  them into an outhouse where they seemed to have stayed.

Alma is two miles east of Buckskin Cemetery though not  much is left of the town.  Buckskin  Cemetery is in the town of Laurette eight miles northwest of  Fairplay.

Colorado Ghosts – Part II

10262131_10152702684934471_9033575469495657319_n

by Deb Anderson

Alamosa-the  Luther Bean Museum is the site of a UFO sighting that left a horse named Snippy  dead with unusual holes in the ground around the  body. On September 9,1967, the three year old gelding was found  with all the flesh on its neck and shoulder carefully removed and the  internal organs were missing, yet the rest of the carcass was intact.  The  hoof prints of two other worse is turned away from Snippy’s tracks, and headed  back toward the ranch house.  No other tracks were found around the  carcass.

Brown’s Park-Brown’s Hole-the ruin of Butch Cassidy’s cabin  where he and the wild Bunch hit out is rumored to give visitors.   Sensations of being drawn back in time by the powerful emotions of the  individuals who rode through this Valley.  Brown’s Park is in the extreme  northwest corner of Colorado in Moffat County, near Maybell,  Colorado.

Central  city-the Masonic cemetery is said to harbor the ghost of a lady in black  satin dress that has been seen placing blue Columbine flowers on the grave of  John Edward Cameron.  Cameron died of “heart paralysis” on November 1, 1887  at the age of 28.  A beautiful woman in black attended the funeral and  reappears every April 5 and November 1 to put flowers on his grave.  No one  knows who she is, but she is rumored to be a  ghost of a former lover who  committed suicide after Cameron wed another woman.  On November 1 (no year  given), over a dozen people gathered at the grave hoping to get to glimpse of  the ghost.  Then at sundown, she appeared and lay flowers on the grave as  two men tried to grab her, she vanished over the top of the hill.  Ever  since people been trying to catch the faithful wraith on Cameron  Monument.

Chivington-Sand Creek-After fierce fighting here on November  29, 1864, the phantom of the gray wolf appeared to Cheyenne women and children  to lead them to safety.  Colonel John Chivington led the Third Colorado  Regiment in the bloody attack on Chief Black Kettles camp at Sand Creek.   The mysterious animal escorted the few survivors all the way to another  Cheyenne camp near the forks of the Smoky Hill and Republican rivers.  Sand  Creek is also rumored to have a phantom teepees and the sounds of children  and women that appear in the fall near November 29.  Chivington is 28 miles  north of Lamar in Kiowa County.

Colorado Springs-Black  Forest hauntings-Paranormal activity in a two-story log cabin began  when Stephen Lee purchased it in 1992.  Lights flashed through it  sounded like people stomping across the roof and they would hear chains  rattling.  One night they awoke and heard orchestra music.   Strange things started happening every day.  Their two boys complained of  weird lights and shadows in their rooms.  Lights and appliances started  turning off and on by themselves and pungent odors burned family members eyes  and throats.  The sheriff stopped responding to their pleas for help so the  leaves hired private investigators to try to find out what was going on.   They noticed that photographs and videotape taken in certain locations of the  property had strange light streaks running through them and sometimes  translucent faces appeared on the film.  To this day red, yellow, and white  forms are seen and recorded as well as apparitions of an old lady, a little  girl, a burly man dressed in 1800s clothing, and a “flying dog” not to mention  hundreds of forlorn faces seen floating in the mirrors of the house.  So  far, there are 4000 photographs and 400 videotapes supporting the validity of  this case.  The Black Forest area is directly east of the Air Force  Academy, the haunted property is in El Paso County 15 miles north east of  Colorado Springs. ( Www.haunted-places.com)

Dead Man’s  Canyon-Colorado Springs-this can it is haunted by the ghoulish Phantom of a man  with an ax in his four head.  The ghost of William Harkins has haunted the  area since 1863 when he was murdered by a gang of Mexican religious  fanatics.  Over the years dozens of people have reported being chased by  the angry phantom near his cabin on Little Fountain Creek.  Some have  fired bullets at his ghastly shade and one mother struck him in the ear for  scaring her son.  It took a few seconds before she realized the man with an  ax in his head was a ghost.  Dead Man’s Canyon is 10 miles south of  Colorado Springs, follow Highway 115 through the canyon toward Canon  City.

Cripple Creek-the  Dunn  Building-This building is to be a funeral parlor, but Mrs. T. F.  Dunn turned it into a boarding house.  Her presence is still felt in the 11  original rental rooms and her footsteps are often heard scurrying about as  she attempts to clean them up.  Legend says another spirit in the building  is a miner killed in an explosion at the Mamie R Mine.  Late one night,  while the undertaker was preparing the body, the dead miner began to moan in  pain.  Not wanting to delay his job or cancel preparations, the mortician  injected morphine to quiet the man and continued his work.

Fairley  Brothers and Lampman Building-this block square building is home to a ghost  locals call Maggie, who wears a white shirt waist with a long brown dress and  high heeled boots.  Witnesses say Maggie appears to be in her late 20′s and  keeps her shoulder length brunette near hair pinned up.  Contractors,  employees, and visitors have all detected Maggie’s ghost walking in the second  floor corridor or dancing in the third floor ballroom.  The red brick  building is on the corner of Third Street and Bennett Avenue in  Victor.

The Mamie R. Mine-The  ghosts of three minors haunted the depths of this gold mine for several  years.  The men all died in separate accidents in 1894.  Minors  reported encountering their phantoms in the main shaft, at the 375 foot level  and in the isolated dress in the deeper recesses of the mine.  One ghost  carries his severed arm over her shoulder and another like to write in the or  buckets.  It was said the mine was also possessed by mischievous sprites  called Tommy Knockers.  The Earth spirits cause beams to give way and  explosions go off prematurely.  After several unexplained accidents  and ghost sightings, the mine shutdown in 1895.  It is located on Raven  Hill in Cripple Creek.

Palace Hotel-this old  hotel is haunted by the presence of one of the original owners, Mrs. Kitty  Chambers who likes to keep candles lit and placed in certain spots, just as they  were when the Palace Hotel first opened.  Mrs. Chambers died in room three  of the hotel in 1908 and is said to haunt the room.  That doesn’t stop her  from turning up all over the hotel and she may be responsible for turning down  beds in other rooms and stealing all the keys to room nine as well.  The  Palace Hotel and Casino is located at 172 Bennett Ave., Creek. Www.palacehotelcasino.com

Colorado Ghosts – Part I

10262131_10152702684934471_9033575469495657319_n

by Deb Anderson

We have all wanted to make a wish list of haunted places we would like to  investigate and Colorado has enough to keep us busy for the next few years, when  we’re not doing residential investigations.

Some of Colorado’s haunted places are famous and you probably already  know about them, but I will touch on them and we will then move on to local  places that we can get to in one weekend,

The Stanley Hotel in Estes Park is one of them; it is haunted by its owner and his  wife, F.O. Stanley, inventor of the Stanley steamer and his wife Laura.  A little-known haunt of the Stanley, is  Lord Dunraven, who actually built the hotel. He may be encountered at room 407,  where he stands in the corner of the room near the bathroom door. Witnesses have  reported that a light in the corner turns on and off and the elevator is heard  operating even though it is not running at the time.

Other rooms that are haunted our 217 and 401, and children are apparently  seen in room 418 and leave impressions on the bed when no one is staying in the  room. Guests who stay in room 418 complained of children playing in the hallway  at night even when there are no children registered at the  hotel.

Another famous Colorado haunt is Cheesman Park in Denver, which began in 1858 as Mount  Prospect Cemetery and became Boot Hill.  In 1873 the cemetery was renamed City Cemetery and buried only criminals,  transients and epidemic victims there.

In 1893 the city gave notice all bodies must be removed in 90 days. The  city hired a local undertaker to dig up the 6,000 to 10,000 remaining bodies not  claimed by family, put them in 1′ x 3.5′ pine boxes and deliver them to the  Riverside Cemetery.

Workers hired by the undertaker broke corpses into pieces to get them to  fit into this miniature caskets, unrelated bones were thrown together and many  of the graves were looted.

Spiritualists at the time warned workers that the dead would return  unless a short prayer was uttered for each casket, but no one listened to them.  One worker removing valuable brass coffin handles ran hysterically from the  graveyard saying that a ghost jumped on his back. People in neighboring houses  and apartments reported confused spirits wandering through their homes and  appearing in mirrors.

A huge scandal erupted and Mayor Platt Rogers ordered all work halted for  an investigation. No one was able to sort the mess out, so the remaining bodies  were plowed under and grass and trees were planted over them.

As you walk through the park is said that you can still feel a sadness  and confusion at the site and some say you can hear a low moaning sound coming  from under the ground.

Denver International Airport was built on land considered sacred by the  Native Americans and opened later than expected due to all sorts of unforeseen  problems. This was confirmed by experts in Feng Shui when they surveyed the airport said the site  was “full of images of death and grief”. In spring 1995 Colorado Indian tribes  held a ceremony to put their ancestor’s spirits to rest.

Molly Brown house also in Denver was built in 1889 by Molly and her  husband James Joseph Brown in 1894. Molly had survived the sinking of the  Titanic in 1912 and become a national heroine. Her ghost and that of her husband  have been detected in the gray brick mansion since then. Ghost lectures are held  in the house in October and tours are given daily.

Union Depot on 22nd St. in downtown Denver has the ghost of a man called  the soldier by employees who since the unmistakable presence of a military  officer in the great Hall. In the 1930s a shadowy operation was reported several  times in the station, but the confuse ghost which seem to be seeking a way out  of the building eventually found his way out. Union Depot replaced the original  Denver Depot in 1880 which was torn down because of the dozens of apparitions  reported by telegraph operators and agents who worked there. Among the ghost at  the Denver Depot was a three fingered hobo who harassed agents by tapping on the  glass petitions at ticket counters. He was seen scores of times over a ten-year  period at around 2 AM and would appear on train platforms, in the lobby, and  inside the offices of the Denver Depot. Several agents quit rather than work  with the ghost.

Also in Estes Park, the Baldpate Inn a 12 room, log cabin lodge is  haunted by the couple who built it 1917. The ghosts of Ethel and Gordon Mace  walk the hallways of this inn and have been seen by both guests and employees.  Ethel is seen mostly in her old bedroom and a small stateroom called the Key  Room which houses the largest collection of keys in the world. The collection  was begun in 1923 when Clarence Darrow donated one of his keys. The collection of celebrity keys  has grown to over 12,000 and includes Edgar Allen Poe’s dorm room key (number  13) and Stephen King’s key to the hotel room where he wrote The  Shining.

Mesa Verde National Park in Cortez houses the ghosts of the Anasazi Indians, the mysterious “ancient ones” who suddenly disappeared around A.D. 1500. They are seen among  the ruins of their 220 room dwelling known as Cliff Palace. The apparitions are  encountered most frequently near the 23 pit houses or kivas, on the floor of the canyon. Each of these ceremonial  buildings has a hole in the floor that serves as a spirit gateway or “Earth  Naval”. In one building known as the Sun Temple, there is a great sunflower  carved in stone. Called the “Sun Shrine”, the 2 foot diameter stone flower is  mounted on an altar. Geologists say it was not carved by human hands, but was  formed by the natural erosion of a sandstone boulder. The sacred symbol is  painted on the walls of pueblos throughout the Southwest. In all of their  architecture, the Anasazi express their belief in spiritual links that connected  all things. Perfectly straight roads link Mesa Verde with its sister city in  Chaco Canyon, New  Mexico.

Silver Cliff Cemetery near Rosita, in south-central Colorado, is said to have the  ghosts of deceased pioneers showing up as shimmering blue lights that hover over  the graves in this old cemetery. The haunting lights were first reported by  silver miners in 1882 and are still seen to this day. It is believed the lights  are the dancing blue spirits of sacred hilltop that are spoken of in Indian  legends.

A 1967 article in the New York Times caused the site to  become a tourist attraction and hundreds of people reported seeing a strange  floating lights. Edward Linehan of  National Geographic, investigated the site in 1969 and observed “round spots of  blue white light” glowing over the graves. When he approached one, it  disappeared and slowly then reappeared in a different area. The lights are not  reflections of car, train, or airplane lights as they appeared long before these  inventions were in wide use. A Geiger counter survey revealed no radioactivity  in the area.

One last haunting you may not be aware of in Grand Junction takes place  on the Denver and Rio Grande Railroad tracks that run between Grand Junction and  Gunnison.The phantom of  the old steam locomotive, Engine 107, haunts these tracks with a ghostly  whistle.

At the turn-of-the-century, engineers avoided the unlucky locomotive,  dubbed Dread 107. This steam engine was the instrument of death for scores of  people. On one of its first runs the train went off a trestle, killing several  trainmen and many passengers. The engine was restored to the line and rebuilt  and then struck a massive boulder, tossing passengers from their seats like  dolls. Dozens of people were killed or injured. Repaired once again, Dread 107  hit a snow slide in the Black Canyon which claimed more lives. The railroad  finally scrapped the cursed locomotive in 1909 after several more accidents  which claimed even more lives. The phantom train or rather its ghostly whistle,  are still seen and heard along the tracks that run between Grand Junction and  Gunnison. It is  most often encountered near the Gunnison River and Crystal  Creek.

Arrowhead Paranormal Research

NPS-Default Contact Name Johnny Romero
Location Colorado
Phone (719) 937-5411
Email email
Website
Follow Us
Specialty:
30 years of doing paranormal research.

Colorado Ghosts – Part 4 by Deb Anderson

We have all wanted to make a wish list of haunted places we would like to investigate and Colorado has enough to keep us busy for the next few years, when we’re not doing residential investigations.

Some of Colorado’s haunted places are famous and you probably already know about them, but I will touch on them and we will then move on to local places that we can get to in one weekend,

The Stanley Hotel in Estes Park is one of them; it is haunted by its owner and his wife, F.O. Stanley, inventor of the Stanley steamer and his wife Laura.  A little-known haunt of the Stanley, is Lord Dunraven, who actually built the hotel. He may be encountered at room 407, where he stands in the corner of the room near the bathroom door. Witnesses have reported that a light in the corner turns on and off and the elevator is heard operating even though it is not running at the time.

Other rooms that are haunted our 217 and 401, and children are apparently seen in room 418 and leave impressions on the bed when no one is staying in the room. Guests who stay in room 418 complained of children playing in the hallway at night even when there are no children registered at the hotel.

Another famous Colorado haunt is Cheesman Park in Denver, which began in 1858 as Mount Prospect Cemetery and became Boot Hill.  In 1873 the cemetery was renamed City Cemetery and buried only criminals, transients and epidemic victims there.

In 1893 the city gave notice all bodies must be removed in 90 days. The city hired a local undertaker to dig up the 6,000 to 10,000 remaining bodies not claimed by family, put them in 1′ x 3.5′ pine boxes and deliver them to the Riverside Cemetery.

Workers hired by the undertaker broke corpses into pieces to get them to fit into this miniature caskets, unrelated bones were thrown together and many of the graves were looted.

Spiritualists at the time warned workers that the dead would return unless a short prayer was uttered for each casket, but no one listened to them. One worker removing valuable brass coffin handles ran hysterically from the graveyard saying that a ghost jumped on his back. People in neighboring houses and apartments reported confused spirits wandering through their homes and appearing in mirrors.

A huge scandal erupted and Mayor Platt Rogers ordered all work halted for an investigation. No one was able to sort the mess out, so the remaining bodies were plowed under and grass and trees were planted over them.

As you walk through the park is said that you can still feel a sadness and confusion at the site and some say you can hear a low moaning sound coming from under the ground.

Denver International Airport was built on land considered sacred by the Native Americans and opened later than expected due to all sorts of unforeseen problems. This was confirmed by experts in Feng Shui when they surveyed the airport said the site was “full of images of death and grief”. In spring 1995 Colorado Indian tribes held a ceremony to put their ancestor’s spirits to rest.

Molly Brown house also in Denver was built in 1889 by Molly and her husband James Joseph Brown in 1894. Molly had survived the sinking of the Titanic in 1912 and become a national heroine. Her ghost and that of her husband have been detected in the gray brick mansion since then. Ghost lectures are held in the house in October and tours are given daily.

Union Depot on 22nd St. in downtown Denver has the ghost of a man called the soldier by employees who since the unmistakable presence of a military officer in the great Hall. In the 1930s a shadowy operation was reported several times in the station, but the confuse ghost which seem to be seeking a way out of the building eventually found his way out. Union Depot replaced the original Denver Depot in 1880 which was torn down because of the dozens of apparitions reported by telegraph operators and agents who worked there. Among the ghost at the Denver Depot was a three fingered hobo who harassed agents by tapping on the glass petitions at ticket counters. He was seen scores of times over a ten-year period at around 2 AM and would appear on train platforms, in the lobby, and inside the offices of the Denver Depot. Several agents quit rather than work with the ghost.

Also in Estes Park, the Baldpate Inn a 12 room, log cabin lodge is haunted by the couple who built it 1917. The ghosts of Ethel and Gordon Mace walk the hallways of this inn and have been seen by both guests and employees. Ethel is seen mostly in her old bedroom and a small stateroom called the Key Room which houses the largest collection of keys in the world. The collection was begun in 1923 when Clarence Darrow donated one of his keys. The collection of celebrity keys has grown to over 12,000 and includes Edgar Allen Poe’s dorm room key (number 13) and Stephen King’s key to the hotel room where he wrote The Shining.

Mesa Verde National Park in Cortez houses the ghosts of the Anasazi Indians, the mysterious “ancient ones” who suddenly disappeared around A.D. 1500. They are seen among the ruins of their 220 room dwelling known as Cliff Palace. The apparitions are encountered most frequently near the 23 pit houses or kivas, on the floor of the canyon. Each of these ceremonial buildings has a hole in the floor that serves as a spirit gateway or “Earth Naval”. In one building known as the Sun Temple, there is a great sunflower carved in stone. Called the “Sun Shrine”, the 2 foot diameter stone flower is mounted on an altar. Geologists say it was not carved by human hands, but was formed by the natural erosion of a sandstone boulder. The sacred symbol is painted on the walls of pueblos throughout the Southwest. In all of their architecture, the Anasazi express their belief in spiritual links that connected all things. Perfectly straight roads link Mesa Verde with its sister city in Chaco Canyon, New Mexico.

Silver Cliff Cemetery near Rosita, in south-central Colorado, is said to have the ghosts of deceased pioneers showing up as shimmering blue lights that hover over the graves in this old cemetery. The haunting lights were first reported by silver miners in 1882 and are still seen to this day. It is believed the lights are the dancing blue spirits of sacred hilltop that are spoken of in Indian legends.

A 1967 article in the New York Times caused the site to become a tourist attraction and hundreds of people reported seeing a strange floating lights. Edward Linehan of National Geographic, investigated the site in 1969 and observed “round spots of blue white light” glowing over the graves. When he approached one, it disappeared and slowly then reappeared in a different area. The lights are not reflections of car, train, or airplane lights as they appeared long before these inventions were in wide use. A Geiger counter survey revealed no radioactivity in the area.

One last haunting you may not be aware of in Grand Junction takes place on the Denver and Rio Grande Railroad tracks that run between Grand Junction and Gunnison. The phantom of the old steam locomotive, Engine 107, haunts these tracks with a ghostly whistle.

At the turn-of-the-century, engineers avoided the unlucky locomotive, dubbed Dread 107. This steam engine was the instrument of death for scores of people. On one of its first runs the train went off a trestle, killing several trainmen and many passengers. The engine was restored to the line and rebuilt and then struck a massive boulder, tossing passengers from their seats like dolls. Dozens of people were killed or injured. Repaired once again, Dread 107 hit a snow slide in the Black Canyon which claimed more lives. The railroad finally scrapped the cursed locomotive in 1909 after several more accidents which claimed even more lives. The phantom train or rather its ghostly whistle, are still seen and heard along the tracks that run between Grand Junction and Gunnison. It is most often encountered near the Gunnison River and Crystal Creek.

Colorado Shadow Investigations

Colorado Shadow Investigations Contact Name Luana Kurz
Location Highlands Ranch, Co
Phone  (303)550-2696
Email  email
Website coloradoshadowinvestigations.com
Follow Us  facebook
Specialty:
We love to Investigate numerous locations

Colorado Ghosts – Part 3 by Deb Anderson

Denver- Belle Worden’s House- The ghost of John  Fitzgerald haunts the whorehouse where he was murdered. 

On March 19, 1884, he was stabbed to death as he lay  sleeping in the bed of a prostitute.

His lifeless body was thrown into cherry Creek and found  by a group of boys two months later.  Madame Bell Worden and two of her employees were sent to jail for the  murder robbery.  The phantom of  Fitzgerald has returned to make sure the place would never again be a house of  ill-repute. The house is a private residence at 578 Holiday Street.

 

Bombay Club-Owner Greg McAllister says he serves cowboy  ghosts as well as living guests in the 1895 saloon.  The Bombay Club is located at 1128 Grant  Street.

 

Bradmar-The haunting of this Tudor mansion began when a  ceiling beam was split by a ghost.  The mansion was built in 1920 by George Gano, when he died; Hubert Work  bought the house and married Gano’s widow Ethyl.

Many years before her death, Ethyl told friends and  relatives that when she died she wished to lie in state before the  fireplace.  She promised that on  that night she would split a certain beam on the ceiling above her coffin.  The beam split just as she had  promised.

After the Works died, no one lived in the house until  1962, when it was purchased by Dr. Robert Bradley and soon after moving in; the  Bradleys experienced ghostly presences, levitating objects, odors, and moaning  sounds.

Dr. Bradley consulted renowned psychic Arthur Ford who  identified the spirits as Ethyl and Hubert Work.  Bradley wrote a book about the  experiences and finally the house was sold in 1980.  The people who bought it couldn’t stand  the paranormal activity and moved out shortly after.  It is still a private residence at 4100  South University Blvd.

 

Croke-Patterson-Campbell Mansion-The haunting began in  1970 when tenant’s offices were remodeled.  The often heard typing in the building at night and when they brought in  two Dobermans to guard the place, the found them the next morning dead on the  sidewalk, the animals had been so frightened of something they jumped from a  third floor window.

In the same year, a baby died in the third floor nursery  and the distraught mother committed suicide.  The mansion was then turned into a  museum at 428 East 11th Street.

 

Denver Courthouse-In 1900, every night for a week at 3:00  AM, the ghosts of departed souls walked the hallways accompanied by the stench  of brimstone.  Not one but dozens of  spirits were reported by night watchmen and janitors and one of the ghosts was  the courthouse elevator operator who had fallen to their death down the elevator  shaft.

The courthouse is located on the corner of 16th  Street and Tremont  Avenue.

 

Grant-Humphreys Mansion-This old house is said to be  haunted by five ghosts, one the former owner, A.E. Humphreys.  Humphreys died on May 8, 1927 from a  suspicious gun accident despite being an excellent marksman. 

A séance sponsored by radio station KNUS contacted  several ghosts.  The Grant-Humphreys  Mansion is located in the Cheesman Park area and ghost lectures are held in  October.

 

Littleton Town Hall Arts Center-Ghostly laughter and  music have been heard coming from this community theater building late at  night.  The ghost also likes to mess  up workers desks and move their personal belongings. 

 

Molly Brown House-The ghost of Molly Brown wanders her  former home, which was built in 1889.  Molly survived the sinking of the Titanic and died in 1932.  Her husband James Joseph Brown’s ghost  has also been detected in the home as visitors sometimes smell cigar smoke in  his study.

Molly Brown House Museum is located at 1340 Pennsylvania  Avenue.

 

Peabody Mansion-This house was built by Colorado Governor  James Peabody at the turn of the century and haunted by later residents.  It is rumored a woman was brutally raped  in the basement and that someone committed suicide in the bathroom.

Whatever the cause of the disturbances, many people feel  bad vibes here.

 

Reynolds Cottage-This historic house is haunted by Madge  Reynolds who had an adulterous affair with Denver Post owner Fred Bonfils.  She collapsed and died in her bedroom  after a horseback ride with Bonfils.  Ever since, her ghost has been seen roaming in the rooms on the north  side of the house.  The house is a  private residence on Logan Street in the Capital Hill area of Denver.

 

Fairplay-Buckskin Cemetery-J. Dawson Hidgepath came to  Fairplay to find gold and a wife, but only found tragedy in 1865.  His broken, lifeless body was found at  the bottom of the West side of Mount Boss where he had apparently fallen while  trying to prospect the mountainside. 

Soon after, the bones of the wandering lothario were  found in the bed of a dance hall girl in the town of Alma.

Believing some prank had occurred, the citizens of  Fairplay reburied the bones in the Buckskin Cemetery. Time and time again, the bones would find  their way to the house of some fair lady. 

By 1872, Dawson’ bones were the talk of the territory,  and in a last attempt to rid themselves of the wandering bones; someone threw  them into an outhouse where they seemed to have stayed. 

Alma is two miles east of Buckskin Cemetery though not  much is left of the town.  Buckskin  Cemetery is in the town of Laurette eight miles northwest of  Fairplay.

Colorado Ghosts – Part 2 by Deb Anderson

Alamosa-the  Luther Bean Museum is the site of a UFO sighting that left a horse named Snippy  dead with unusual holes in the ground around the  body. On September 9,1967, the three year old gelding was found  with all the flesh on its neck and shoulder carefully removed and the  internal organs were missing, yet the rest of the carcass was intact.  The  hoof prints of two other worse is turned away from Snippy’s tracks, and headed  back toward the ranch house.  No other tracks were found around the  carcass.
Brown’s Park-Brown’s Hole-the ruin of Butch Cassidy’s cabin  where he and the wild Bunch hit out is rumored to give visitors.   Sensations of being drawn back in time by the powerful emotions of the  individuals who rode through this Valley.  Brown’s Park is in the extreme  northwest corner of Colorado in Moffat County, near Maybell,  Colorado.

 

Central  city-the Masonic cemetery is said to harbor the ghost of a lady in black  satin dress that has been seen placing blue Columbine flowers on the grave of  John Edward Cameron.  Cameron died of “heart paralysis” on November 1, 1887  at the age of 28.  A beautiful woman in black attended the funeral and  reappears every April 5 and November 1 to put flowers on his grave.  No one  knows who she is, but she is rumored to be a  ghost of a former lover who  committed suicide after Cameron wed another woman.  On November 1 (no year  given), over a dozen people gathered at the grave hoping to get to glimpse of  the ghost.  Then at sundown, she appeared and lay flowers on the grave as  two men tried to grab her, she vanished over the top of the hill.  Ever  since people been trying to catch the faithful wraith on Cameron  Monument.
Chivington-Sand Creek-After fierce fighting here on November  29, 1864, the phantom of the gray wolf appeared to Cheyenne women and children  to lead them to safety.  Colonel John Chivington led the Third Colorado  Regiment in the bloody attack on Chief Black Kettles camp at Sand Creek.   The mysterious animal escorted the few survivors all the way to another  Cheyenne camp near the forks of the Smoky Hill and Republican rivers.  Sand  Creek is also rumored to have a phantom teepees and the sounds of children  and women that appear in the fall near November 29.  Chivington is 28 miles  north of Lamar in Kiowa County.

 

Colorado Springs-Black  Forest hauntings-Paranormal activity in a two-story log cabin began  when Stephen Lee purchased it in 1992.  Lights flashed through it  sounded like people stomping across the roof and they would hear chains  rattling.  One night they awoke and heard orchestra music.   Strange things started happening every day.  Their two boys complained of  weird lights and shadows in their rooms.  Lights and appliances started  turning off and on by themselves and pungent odors burned family members eyes  and throats.  The sheriff stopped responding to their pleas for help so the  leaves hired private investigators to try to find out what was going on.   They noticed that photographs and videotape taken in certain locations of the  property had strange light streaks running through them and sometimes  translucent faces appeared on the film.  To this day red, yellow, and white  forms are seen and recorded as well as apparitions of an old lady, a little  girl, a burly man dressed in 1800s clothing, and a “flying dog” not to mention  hundreds of forlorn faces seen floating in the mirrors of the house.  So  far, there are 4000 photographs and 400 videotapes supporting the validity of  this case.  The Black Forest area is directly east of the Air Force  Academy, the haunted property is in El Paso County 15 miles north east of  Colorado Springs. ( Www.haunted-places.com)

 

Dead Man’s  Canyon-Colorado Springs-this can it is haunted by the ghoulish Phantom of a man  with an ax in his four head.  The ghost of William Harkins has haunted the  area since 1863 when he was murdered by a gang of Mexican religious  fanatics.  Over the years dozens of people have reported being chased by  the angry phantom near his cabin on Little Fountain Creek.  Some have  fired bullets at his ghastly shade and one mother struck him in the ear for  scaring her son.  It took a few seconds before she realized the man with an  ax in his head was a ghost.  Dead Man’s Canyon is 10 miles south of  Colorado Springs, follow Highway 115 through the canyon toward Canon  City.

 

Cripple Creek-the  Dunn  Building-This building is to be a funeral parlor, but Mrs. T. F.  Dunn turned it into a boarding house.  Her presence is still felt in the 11  original rental rooms and her footsteps are often heard scurrying about as  she attempts to clean them up.  Legend says another spirit in the building  is a miner killed in an explosion at the Mamie R Mine.  Late one night,  while the undertaker was preparing the body, the dead miner began to moan in  pain.  Not wanting to delay his job or cancel preparations, the mortician  injected morphine to quiet the man and continued his work.
Fairley  Brothers and Lampman Building-this block square building is home to a ghost  locals call Maggie, who wears a white shirt waist with a long brown dress and  high heeled boots.  Witnesses say Maggie appears to be in her late 20’s and  keeps her shoulder length brunette near hair pinned up.  Contractors,  employees, and visitors have all detected Maggie’s ghost walking in the second  floor corridor or dancing in the third floor ballroom.  The red brick  building is on the corner of Third Street and Bennett Avenue in  Victor.

 

The Mamie R. Mine-The  ghosts of three minors haunted the depths of this gold mine for several  years.  The men all died in separate accidents in 1894.  Minors  reported encountering their phantoms in the main shaft, at the 375 foot level  and in the isolated dress in the deeper recesses of the mine.  One ghost  carries his severed arm over her shoulder and another like to write in the or  buckets.  It was said the mine was also possessed by mischievous sprites  called Tommy Knockers.  The Earth spirits cause beams to give way and  explosions go off prematurely.  After several unexplained accidents  and ghost sightings, the mine shutdown in 1895.  It is located on Raven  Hill in Cripple Creek.

 

Palace Hotel-this old  hotel is haunted by the presence of one of the original owners, Mrs. Kitty  Chambers who likes to keep candles lit and placed in certain spots, just as they  were when the Palace Hotel first opened.  Mrs. Chambers died in room three  of the hotel in 1908 and is said to haunt the room.  That doesn’t stop her  from turning up all over the hotel and she may be responsible for turning down  beds in other rooms and stealing all the keys to room nine as well.  The  Palace Hotel and Casino is located at 172 Bennett Ave., Creek.  Www.palacehotelcasino.com

Colorado Ghosts – Part 1 by Deb Anderson

            We have all wanted to make a wish list of haunted places we would like to  investigate and Colorado has enough to keep us busy for the next few years, when  we’re not doing residential investigations.

            Some of Colorado’s haunted places are famous and you probably already  know about them, but I will touch on them and we will then move on to local  places that we can get to in one weekend,

            The Stanley Hotel in Estes Park is one of them; it is haunted by its owner and his  wife, F.O. Stanley, inventor of the Stanley steamer and his wife Laura.  A little-known haunt of the Stanley, is  Lord Dunraven, who actually built the hotel. He may be encountered at room 407,  where he stands in the corner of the room near the bathroom door. Witnesses have  reported that a light in the corner turns on and off and the elevator is heard  operating even though it is not running at the time.

            Other rooms that are haunted our 217 and 401, and children are apparently  seen in room 418 and leave impressions on the bed when no one is staying in the  room. Guests who stay in room 418 complained of children playing in the hallway  at night even when there are no children registered at the  hotel.

            Another famous Colorado haunt is Cheesman Park in Denver, which began in 1858 as Mount  Prospect Cemetery and became Boot Hill.  In 1873 the cemetery was renamed City Cemetery and buried only criminals,  transients and epidemic victims there.

            In 1893 the city gave notice all bodies must be removed in 90 days. The  city hired a local undertaker to dig up the 6,000 to 10,000 remaining bodies not  claimed by family, put them in 1′ x 3.5′ pine boxes and deliver them to the  Riverside Cemetery.

            Workers hired by the undertaker broke corpses into pieces to get them to  fit into this miniature caskets, unrelated bones were thrown together and many  of the graves were looted.

            Spiritualists at the time warned workers that the dead would return  unless a short prayer was uttered for each casket, but no one listened to them.  One worker removing valuable brass coffin handles ran hysterically from the  graveyard saying that a ghost jumped on his back. People in neighboring houses  and apartments reported confused spirits wandering through their homes and  appearing in mirrors.

            A huge scandal erupted and Mayor Platt Rogers ordered all work halted for  an investigation. No one was able to sort the mess out, so the remaining bodies  were plowed under and grass and trees were planted over them.

            As you walk through the park is said that you can still feel a sadness  and confusion at the site and some say you can hear a low moaning sound coming  from under the ground.

            Denver International Airport was built on land considered sacred by the  Native Americans and opened later than expected due to all sorts of unforeseen  problems. This was confirmed by experts in Feng Shui when they surveyed the airport said the site  was “full of images of death and grief”. In spring 1995 Colorado Indian tribes  held a ceremony to put their ancestor’s spirits to rest.

            Molly Brown house also in Denver was built in 1889 by Molly and her  husband James Joseph Brown in 1894. Molly had survived the sinking of the  Titanic in 1912 and become a national heroine. Her ghost and that of her husband  have been detected in the gray brick mansion since then. Ghost lectures are held  in the house in October and tours are given daily.

            Union Depot on 22nd St. in downtown Denver has the ghost of a man called  the soldier by employees who since the unmistakable presence of a military  officer in the great Hall. In the 1930s a shadowy operation was reported several  times in the station, but the confuse ghost which seem to be seeking a way out  of the building eventually found his way out. Union Depot replaced the original  Denver Depot in 1880 which was torn down because of the dozens of apparitions  reported by telegraph operators and agents who worked there. Among the ghost at  the Denver Depot was a three fingered hobo who harassed agents by tapping on the  glass petitions at ticket counters. He was seen scores of times over a ten-year  period at around 2 AM and would appear on train platforms, in the lobby, and  inside the offices of the Denver Depot. Several agents quit rather than work  with the ghost.

            Also in Estes Park, the Baldpate Inn a 12 room, log cabin lodge is  haunted by the couple who built it 1917. The ghosts of Ethel and Gordon Mace  walk the hallways of this inn and have been seen by both guests and employees.  Ethel is seen mostly in her old bedroom and a small stateroom called the Key  Room which houses the largest collection of keys in the world. The collection  was begun in 1923 when Clarence Darrow donated one of his keys. The collection of celebrity keys  has grown to over 12,000 and includes Edgar Allen Poe’s dorm room key (number  13) and Stephen King’s key to the hotel room where he wrote The  Shining.

            Mesa Verde National Park in Cortez houses the ghosts of the Anasazi Indians, the mysterious “ancient ones” who suddenly disappeared around A.D. 1500. They are seen among  the ruins of their 220 room dwelling known as Cliff Palace. The apparitions are  encountered most frequently near the 23 pit houses or kivas, on the floor of the canyon. Each of these ceremonial  buildings has a hole in the floor that serves as a spirit gateway or “Earth  Naval”. In one building known as the Sun Temple, there is a great sunflower  carved in stone. Called the “Sun Shrine”, the 2 foot diameter stone flower is  mounted on an altar. Geologists say it was not carved by human hands, but was  formed by the natural erosion of a sandstone boulder. The sacred symbol is  painted on the walls of pueblos throughout the Southwest. In all of their  architecture, the Anasazi express their belief in spiritual links that connected  all things. Perfectly straight roads link Mesa Verde with its sister city in  Chaco Canyon, New  Mexico.

            Silver Cliff Cemetery near Rosita, in south-central Colorado, is said to have the  ghosts of deceased pioneers showing up as shimmering blue lights that hover over  the graves in this old cemetery. The haunting lights were first reported by  silver miners in 1882 and are still seen to this day. It is believed the lights  are the dancing blue spirits of sacred hilltop that are spoken of in Indian  legends.

A 1967 article in the New York Times caused the site to  become a tourist attraction and hundreds of people reported seeing a strange  floating lights. Edward Linehan of  National Geographic, investigated the site in 1969 and observed “round spots of  blue white light” glowing over the graves. When he approached one, it  disappeared and slowly then reappeared in a different area. The lights are not  reflections of car, train, or airplane lights as they appeared long before these  inventions were in wide use. A Geiger counter survey revealed no radioactivity  in the area.

            One last haunting you may not be aware of in Grand Junction takes place  on the Denver and Rio Grande Railroad tracks that run between Grand Junction and  Gunnison.The phantom of  the old steam locomotive, Engine 107, haunts these tracks with a ghostly  whistle.

            At the turn-of-the-century, engineers avoided the unlucky locomotive,  dubbed Dread 107. This steam engine was the instrument of death for scores of  people. On one of its first runs the train went off a trestle, killing several  trainmen and many passengers. The engine was restored to the line and rebuilt  and then struck a massive boulder, tossing passengers from their seats like  dolls. Dozens of people were killed or injured. Repaired once again, Dread 107  hit a snow slide in the Black Canyon which claimed more lives. The railroad  finally scrapped the cursed locomotive in 1909 after several more accidents  which claimed even more lives. The phantom train or rather its ghostly whistle,  are still seen and heard along the tracks that run between Grand Junction and  Gunnison. It is  most often encountered near the Gunnison River and Crystal  Creek.